Saturday, July 19, 2008

Kyndal's Ear Surgery

Kyndal had her Surgery to put tubes in her ears on Friday. Daddy took the day off and we had to be at the hospital before 6am. Kyndal was fine when I woke her up that morning. Bret was happy that we finally got to wake her up for a change, although she took it much better than we do when she wakes us up early. We debated leaving Kyndal in her PJ's, but we didn't want to change her routine too much since we never take her out in her PJ's any other time.

We arrived and got checked in, Kyndal got her arm band and let them put it on her. It didn't take long before she slipper her hand out of it and didn't let me put it back on. The nurse put in on her ankle when we got to the room. We dressed Kyndal in a Tiger hospital gown and the room had a very institutional looking crib in the room, a little freaky looking.

Kyndal knew that she was going to the Doctor for him to fix her ears, and she could tell us that. She didn't realize quite how many people she would be seeing, lots of nurses, a Anesthesiologist, and her doctor. She was very quiet and didn't say a word to any one. They explained that two nurses would come and take her from me (we would meet them before hand), they would probably do it rather quickly before she knew what was going on. She would be given a little laughing gas and then some stronger medicine that she would breath in and it would put her to sleep. The procedure actually only takes 5-10 minutes. Then they would give her oxygen to bring her out of it and take her to a recovery room for 45 minutes before bringing her to me.

So they came and took her, she didn't cry at all. So we waited for about 30 minutes before I could hear her crying. Bret tried to convince me that it wasn't her, I knew it was. I was pacing outside of the room. Bret's version is that I was ready to pounce on someone. She was screaming and I could hear an occasional "Mommy". After about 5 minutes the doctor came in, I said "What did you do to her" in a joking manner (maybe I wasn't joking). He said that they would be bringing her to us a little sooner...when they were ready, he said they are ready NOW! He said that she was fine just a little disoriented. Then the nurse brought her, she said as soon as she told her we would go see Mommy she quit crying. Bret said that our daughter knows how to work the system!

To doctor said they are normally very sleepy right afterward, but I didn't hit her until I was holding her. Her little eyes could barely stay open. The doctor said that she did have fluid in both ears and that was gone now. We waited to be discharged and while we were waiting Kyndal got a little sick to her stomach.

Then we were finally able to leave. It was less than 3 hours that we were there. It wasn't long before Kyndal was dancing around the house. Oh and she was so ready to eat, we stopped by McDonald's for some take home breakfast and she ate almost the whole Sausage McGriddle. Kyndal had some twinges of pain or discomfort for the rest of the day, but today seems to have none.

I am so happy that the ear infections might be behind her now!

Kyndal dancing around shortly after her surgery:


Kyndal talking about her surgery:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how scary it was for Mommy and Daddy when you head your surgery. I'm very glad that you are feeling better. The dancing made me laugh out loud (lol). I love you.

Anonymous said...

You were such a big girl going back for your surgery. Now no more ear infections. You are a wonderful dancer. When we come to see you we can dance. Love you lots.